The mission of Jesus as presented in the Gospels was to declare the Good News of the Kingdom of God, demonstrating the power of God’s goodness and love to humanity, to raise up disciples who would multiply the ministry of Jesus and continue to advance the Kingdom by making disciples of Jesus.
This is the supernatural lifestyle that Jesus has purchased for us: that we can be filled with His love and His power, being formed in the likeness and character of Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit. For it is God who works in you, both to will and to do of His good pleasure. God has taken the weight of discipleship onto Himself, both in initiating the desire to grow in our hearts, and the power to actually change.
We can fulfill the mission of Jesus because He has sent His Spirit to empower us, and to teach us how to walk in the authority that Jesus purchased.
“ALL authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to do all things that I have commanded you, and I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” – Matthew 28:18-20
This great commission from Jesus is the mission of all believers, whatever your level of training or preparedness. We are all called to live in confidence of Jesus’ authority, and to make disciples wherever we are. The good news is that you don’t have to do it alone! The Holy Spirit empowers you and the community of believers is here to co-work with you as you walk this path of disciple-making.
So how do we make disciples?
Perhaps we should start with ourselves: learning the ways of God, what He is really like, what He says about us and the life He’s called us to. In our years of running a training school, we have identified key elements for this:
- Knowing God: it all starts with each of us getting to know Father God as revealed in the life & ministry of Jesus.
- Knowing your identity: the Bible is packed with wonderful truths about who I am from God’s perspective. I am seated with Christ, I am a beloved child of God, I have been bought with a price, I am beloved, I am not bound to sin, I am empowered to change & grow, I can access the peace of Christ, etc.
- How to hear the voice of God: Jesus said, “My sheep hear my voice”. It is the inheritance of all Christ-followers to hear the voice of the Good Shepherd.
- How to minister healing and freedom in the power of the Holy Spirit: following the pattern of Jesus, and being filled with the same Holy Spirit, we can do the works of God.
- Reaching out in service to the church and community: God wants to work through us to make His world a better place. The Spirit will compel us out to love and serve others.
- Transformation, spiritual formation, growing in character: with man, this is impossible, but with God all things are possible. You can change. You can grow. In fact, you will change, and you are growing. You are predestined to be like Him!
- Declaring and advancing the purpose and priorities of heaven in this world: Jesus has defined the parameters; He has provided the mission for us.
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” – Acts 1:8
The plan that Jesus gave us was to start at home (Jerusalem in the verse above), and spread out from there. You don’t necessarily have to dive head-first into becoming a full-time missionary in a foreign country. You can be like Jesus right at home. That’s the best way to start!
GET STARTED THIS WEEK
Pick one small action you can take this week to activate your discipleship at home. Perhaps volunteer at your local church, small group, or food pantry. Maybe take a non-christian friend out for coffee and ask them about their dreams, who they think God is, and share with them the God that Jesus revealed to us. Make new non-christian friends and repeat the process! And don’t forget to start with yourself: engage in faith with the Holy Spirit who dwells inside you. Ask Holy Spirit to show you any place where you’re being held-back by doubts, fears, ungodly beliefs, or trauma. Begin to exchange those issues for God’s truth. Ask Holy Spirit to disciple you, and link arms with someone else so that you can encourage each other toward good works.
Take the leap into a new lifestyle: sign up for the Global Awakening School of Supernatural Ministry: a 9-month school to equip you for the next season of your life.
– Mike Hutchings
PS) Earlier I mentioned our training school. All Global School of Supernatural Ministry students receive training from apostolic, prophetic, evangelistic and pastoral teachers who equip and impart revelation that prepares them to live out a supernatural lifestyle and impact their world with it. But the most impactful experiences are those that include one-on-one coaching, mentoring and encouraging in the context of community.
Also, check out these free teaching and worship sessions on Global On Demand for further inspiration and encouragement as you step out this week.