fbpx

Global Awakening Blog

Articles, podcasts, videos, and more to inspire and equip you. This is life in the great global awakening!

Dare To Be An Elijah

photo of woman holding a lantern in a field of ripe wheat. Text reads "Dare to be an Elijah."

Elijah was a prophet. He stood against a wicked king and his wicked wife, and against all the corrupt culture around him. He prayed, and it stopped raining for three years. He prayed, and it rained again. He called down fire from heaven. Elijah was also human. James tells us he “was a man just like us” (James 5:17). He is someone to emulate. He prayed with fervency. He followed God’s word in faith. Elijah was willing to lay his life down. He was willing to say YES to God. God is calling us to be modern day Elijahs. God is looking for people who will say yes to Him, people who are willing to say no to themselves and say yes to Him. Are we willing for God to use us?

D.L. Moody famously said, “The world has yet to see what God will do with a man who is fully consecrated to Him.” Notice he says will do, not can do. Many of us don’t believe we can make an impact in the Kingdom of God. We hear the message with our ears, but do we believe it in our hearts? Be careful to believe the truth of the Holy Spirit instead of the lies of the enemy. The lie of the enemy is always telling us what we can’t do, but Jesus said, “My sheep hear my voice” (Jn 10:27). The truth of the Holy Spirits says, “You are significant. You are important. Your contribution does matter to the kingdom. You can make a difference. You can make an impact.” He already prepared a ministry for every one of us to do. Ephesians 2:10 tells us. “We are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”

I’ll be a fire starter. I’m willing to do what it takes. I’m willing to lay all down on the altar. When you do that, God takes your words very seriously. If you want to be an Elijah that is what it is going to take:

1. If we dare to be an Elijah, we need to be aware of the source of our strength. Every great man and woman of God knew this. Supernatural strength has a supernatural source. If you try to do God’s business in your own strength, through your own self-effort, you will fall on your face. You can’t accomplish what God has for you unless you learn to flow from His strength. Elijah was able to continually draw on God’s strength. Ephesians 6:10 says we are to “be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.” This means continually drawing strength from the Lord and His resources. There are two sources: His person and His resources. We can draw strength from the word, prayer, and fasting. May our eyes be enlightened to know “the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe” (Eph 1:18-19).
  2. We must learn that God is always THERE. There is wherever God sends you, and in whatever circumstance you find yourself. You will always find Him there. There could be in the marketplace. It might be at home. It might be visiting at the hospitals. “There” could be different for each one of us, but wherever it is, you will find God. It will always be a place of promise, a place of provision and power.
  3. Learn to take one step at a time. This is a simple principle, but it’s a hard one to learn. If we are going to walk into our destiny with the Lord, we need to take one step at a time. We want to know the whole picture, but God doesn’t work that way. He will give you the vison, and you have to take the first step. Often, the revelation of the second step will not come until you have taken the first step. We keep moving forward trusting He is walking beside us.
  4. Learn to trust in God absolutely. Elijah learned to trust God when the resources went down, when the attacks came, when he needed help, when he was praying for rain, when he was facing the prophets of Baal on the mountain, when he needed fire to come down from heaven. We need to trust God in every situation, no matter how big or small it is. Trust that He is the one who helps us, and changes every situation.
  5. We must learn to value the hidden life. Elijah sat by the brook drawing strength, getting refreshed in the presence of the Lord. This is probably the most important point, not only for those in ministry, but for every believer. We must learn to have the hidden, intimate time with the Lord. Take time to be alone with Him.

We must be willing to prepare the way of the Lord. It is our responsibility to prepare the way for His return. Our prayer should be, “Let me be a voice crying out just as John the Baptist cried out. Lord, I’m willing to be a forerunner. I’m willing to stand in opposition to the world around me as Elijah opposed wickedness. I’m willing to stand for truth and righteousness. I’m willing to pray fervent, effectual prayers. I’m willing to light the fires of revival.”

—Tom Jones

Dr. Tom Jones photographDr. Tom Jones is a long-time friend of Randy’s. He currently serves as our Vice President along with leading our Network of churches, ministries, and missionaries, and overseeing all of our accredited education opportunities. Tom has a long history of pastoring and mentoring, with many considering him a spiritual father. Tom can be seen at many of our events, both as the emcee and as a keynote speaker. Learn more about Tom here →
Say something here...
or post as a guest
People in conversation:
Loading comment... The comment will be refreshed after 00:00.
    Kathy Cronheimer · 2 months ago
    Thank you. I do want to be an Elijah. With God's help, it just might happen.
    Kevin L · 2 months ago
    Great article of encouragement!
    However, while I value the legacy of Elijah - I don't want to be an Elijah.
    I want to be everything the Father has made me to be. I simply want to know all that is written about me (Ps. 1 9:16) and fulfill that to the max, with the help of the Helper. (Just my 2 cents)
    Bruce · 3 months ago
    Being a voice in the wilderness releases a super natural strength every time we proclaim the goodness of God. In villages and market places many fear this deadly virus and the gospel has answers. My alone time with the Holy Spirit allows a divine discernment only He can give. Great words, thank you! Missionary in Uganda.
    Phil Covey · 3 months ago
    Lately the story of Elijah has been showing up a lot in my life and the lives of others.

God's power moved greatly with Elijah until he got a personal threat from Jezebel ( I kings 19) and then he let fear take control of him.

The church will take this opportunity to stand and show courage. No time to hide in a cave just because your enemy is getting personal with you.

Working with the Salvation Army in Plattsburgh, NY we see a lot of scared people. New York State is on lock down and people are running out of hope. Every soup kitchen day (we have gone to curbside service) we hear "thank you for being here" People are more open to accepting prayer now, we hand out bible tracts with every bag of food too. God is moving and touching hearts.

What the enemy intended for evil, God will use for good!
    Praise God!
    Gaylene Petronek · 3 months ago
    Amen ! Send me Lord !! I am surrendering me to live all for you!!! I know my God has been preparing me , my Heart and My spirit to give fully over to his purpose he has planned for me to go forward ! Amen and Amen ! ??
    Joseph Koram · 3 months ago
    Thank you for this piece, it is so encouraging and a good reminder that I need to walk in faith one step at a time so that I can grow in faith
    Sonia · 3 months ago
    Thankyou for confirmation of what God is saying to His children. It’s NOW and one step at a time in obedience and faith.
    God is soooo good ??❤️
    Mary B · 3 months ago
    I Love This Piece.

You have presented Gods heart for the time we are standing.
    Well done good and faithful...
    … Blessings,

One In Him

Mary B
    Faith Blair · 3 months ago
    Thank you for the article; it reminds me of the hymn, "Ready." "Ready to go, ready to stay, ready to do Your will. Ready for service lowly or great, ready my place to fill."
    Janet · 3 months ago
    Thank you For the excellent reminders
    Robin Reedy · 3 months ago
    Awesome! Thank you. Even the most ardent believers, I have had to encourage. It seems there are distractions everywhere. Focussing our eyes on Jesus IS the key. Thank you.
    Keona Tann · 3 months ago
    Wow! Thank you SO much for sharing!
    This week I’ve been so tempted to give up, the things I feel call to feel HUGE and impossible and I’m struggling to see how they can possibly come to pass. As I read this I knew it was a timely encouragement.
    I’m once again reminded that God is faithful and His promises are true.
    I need to do what I can do, what God reveals to me to do now, AND trust Him for the rest.
    The God-dreams given I can never bring into reality in my own strength and might, I don’t have the power, it is only the Holy Spirit that can do this! (as is stated in Zechariah 4:6).
    So for now I chip away at my writing as I can, praying and trusting, praising and preparing...
    Thank you. Many blessings, Keona.
    Russell Evenson · 3 months ago
    Thank you Tom for the simple reminders of what it takes to be useful in the hands of the Lord.
    Virginia Hathaway · 3 months ago
    Host Bible studies in your home, teach the Word, be instant in season and out! Go into the stores, heal the sick, shine His Light, speak encouraging words of life and love from the Father's heart! Holy Spirit will lead you to the ones hungry for God! The Christ followers who come to my house, even with orders from our Governor to stay home, speak life, prophesy, and encourage one another! Now is the time to minister in faith, take precautions (invite just 10 to your house, etc), but love, love, love with bold, uncompromising faith in His Word: Psalm 91, Mark 16: 17-18, Ja 4:7, all glory to Jesus! My God loves me, protects me, and sustains me! I'm His favorite, covered with His feathers, dwelling in the Secret Place, and abiding under His shadow! I stand for this Truth: my God saves, delivers and heals! Anyone reading my post: trust in the Lord for the courage you need, stop procrastinating, apply the Blood, and go into all the world around you! I speak REVIVAL TO AMERICA, I speak protection to America, I speak hope, prosperity, and renewed faith to the bride of Christ!
    Fred Dowuona · 3 months ago
    Thanks Tom for sharing. As we have all been forced by the circumstances around to stay at home, I believe it is an opportunity for us optimize the moment to "value the hidden llife"by setting aside more time for devotion, meditation of the word, & honestly times just being silent before the Lord in prayer for Him to minister to our hearts- great will be our reward. Shalom! Fred Dowuona
    R. T. · 3 months ago
    Gracious, what a beautiful meditation. Balanced and full. I really like the note of how the enemy tries to get us into a pincer movement: He says, "You are NOT committed enough!" and "YOUR call and vocation is peanuts!" By both of these accusations, he wants to disempower us utterly. In a word, destroy us. Elijah, I suppose, knew that he was, in fact, the Lord's man, AND that the Lord was going to lead him into what the Lord wanted done. Simple, no pressure--outside of the simple work of fidelity which he nourished in prayer.
    So, beautiful. Thank you.
    Geneva Galvin · 3 months ago
    THIS IS RIGHT WHERE I AM>>>80 years old...ready to go!!! Thank you!!!
      Terri Shane · 3 months ago
      Geneva! Amen! I am 72 and I join with you! Here I am; send me! I see an army of seasoned and strong warriors - male and female - rising up!!!! Here we are, Lord! Send us!!! In terms of our Kingdom, we are just babies! Send us, Lord!!!!

Thank you, Tom, for daring us to be an Elijah!
    rima lenda nagaring · 3 months ago
    Amen.

Thank you for sharing the Word of God.

Use me Lord Jesus.

I trust in YOU alone.
    Edith Houghton · 3 months ago
    I really appreciate this message especially in light of the current dark circumstances evident in our world. Are we willing to take our stand for the Lord no matter how uncomfortable or stretching it will be? Are we willing to go out on a limb for Jesus and risk looking foolish to the world while expanding His kingdom? This is our hour to shine our lights brightly and it will probably look different for each one of us as we each have unique destinies as well as specific relationships with the Lord. We are all made in His image - let’s reflect Him well.
    Carissa Hjellming · 3 months ago
    May we all be the echo of God's voice that the people of the world so desperately need to hear right now. May we all be the hands and feet of Jesus wherever we are led to go . . . in the simplest ways as we oppose wickedness through our fervent prayers and deeds. Amen and Hallelujah!
      Joy Rodriguez · 3 months ago
      Hi Carissa, I believe we were in an early on CHCP class together. Nice to hear your input.
      Amen! Something I asked of the Father once and this reminded me of that.
      Q. What is authentic Faith? A. Jesus: "Letting me be me in you".
      This requires not only a yes but, equally yes in yielding to the transforming power of His resurrection
      Blessings ~Joy