fbpx

Global Awakening Blog

Articles, podcasts, videos, and more to inspire and equip you. This is life in the great global awakening!

Encountering God’s Identity Reality For Ourselves

I am privileged to have seen many times the way that Jesus brings freedom and healing to us when we are facing pain and trauma. I have learned that God has better things to say about me than I am aware of. It’s like Isaiah 61 says, “…He has dressed me with the clothing of salvation and draped me in a robe of righteousness.”

I get really blessed when Jesus shows up and heals pain & brokenness and gives His freedom to others, but the thing is, every time I minister to others, the Holy Spirit puts a spotlight on my own soul so that I can see the unhealed places in my life which He wants to heal.

What a lesson for us all, that as we get really happy to see Jesus show off and make Isaiah 61 a reality in others’ lives, we can also receive healing even as we minister! He gives us good news instead of trauma, He heals our broken hearts, He sets us free and gives us the identity He created us to have.

So often, I realize, I believe who I am and what is possible for me in the framework of what others have said about me, or how they have treated me. I’ve learned that my core beliefs about me are more impacted by the words and actions outside of me, rather than the reality of who God says I am.

The truth that I am seeking to live in is this: I am not identified by my history, or by what I have done or what others have done to me. This is based on 2 Corinthians 5:17, in which Paul declares, “If any person is in Christ, they are a new creation. The old is passed away, the new has come.” Where the “rubber meets the road” is if I can integrate this truth into my life and let it affect my behavior. This is true for all of us, whether you are ministering to others or receiving ministry yourself.

In reality, the greatest obstacles in my life and destiny have not been outside of me, but those things I have believed about me and what’s possible for me that don’t align with what God says about me.

I’m confessing the reality that I need more work in this area! The only answer I know is found in asking God to help me believe what He believes about me, and then have the good sense to let His thoughts fill my mind. That’s the identity reality I want to walk in today.

Let’s commit this week to read Isaiah 61 together (you can read it online right now over here >> ) As we let the message of that passage into our hearts, I would encourage you (and myself) to declare the truths in God’s Word over ourselves. You are in Christ, so you can speak Isaiah 61 as truth for yourself this week. Let’s tell ourselves the truth this week, and allow the Holy Spirit to lift lies off of us and give us His truth in exchange.

—Mike Hutchings

Mike Hutchings photographMike Hutchings is the Director of Education at Global Awakening and has 35 years of pastoral, church planting and pastoring pastors experience in a variety of church cultures. In his free time, he conducts “Healing PTSD” training seminars throughout the country, as well as writing, and spending time with his children and grandchildren.
Say something here...
or post as a guest
People in conversation:
Loading comment... The comment will be refreshed after 00:00.
    Brenda M.T. · 7 months ago
    Awesome Word...allowing the Holy Spirit to constantly lead us into a self exam. Then going beyond to receive our healing and insight on who He says we are!!!
    Thank you Mike!!!
    Candy P. · 7 months ago
    Thank you Mike for sharing. Holy Spirit brought an old song up to my mind this early a.m. ¶ Satan the accuser has been whispering in your ear, you just tell him your forgiven, he's got NO business here!¶ The Lord reminded me how He speaks & corrects us. He has a loving concerned voice when He redirects us but our enemy whispers unloving, unworthy "stingy" accusations. This is not your Father's voice!! One voice to be submitted to and the other voice to be rebuked! One voice carries "loves concern" and the other voice "hates disappointments." We will/do know the difference, now pay attention! (Thought this was worth sharing back to you and the body.)
    Bryan rhoades · 7 months ago
    Its funny you sent me this do read isaiah 61 and claim it for myself and other people all the time i use it is as guide to show other people how much jesus love that he doesnt look at the state were in but he promises to change things based who he is noticed since ive been reading have been a lot better and more determined to stayy with it so thanks for the encouraging word love the blog
    Katie Blomquist · 7 months ago
    But I can't force an understanding... I can put truth in my head, but God's Word can only be discerned in my spirit. I pray and ask The Holy Spirit to bring an understanding of the truth to my heart, but I am not walking in that yet. I understood only The Holy Spirit can unlock the mind of Christ that is in my spirit and bring the knowledge of truth into my soul. How can this be forced? How can this come to me by my effort? I get so discouraged when I read that transformation is as easy as reading the Word, sometimes so much so that I am slow to read because I expect to have the same discouragement and frustration again. Can you speak into this brother?
      Mary Cummings · 6 months ago
      Hi Katie, I just "happened" to come across your comment here. CrossCounsel Int'l Ministries is a ministry that teaches people how to feel their emotions (opening the heart) and position themselves for a true encounter with the Holy Spirit that transforms. It is our inheritance as God's child to hear the voice of our Lord that replaces (permanently) those lies. If you want to know more visit us at www.CrossCounsel.com. He is so willing! And so good. There is a way out of the struggle :-) In Him, Mary Cummings
      Mike Hutchings · 7 months ago
      Katie, thanks for your reply. I dont believe that all of our problems can be solved by just reading the Word more, praying more, etc.. I agree that such prescriptions can only bring more discouragement and frustration. What does work is a conscious decision to dwell on what God says about me, and consciously refuse to believe lies about who God is or who I am. It does take effort and strength from God. May I recommend Dr. Caroline Leaf's book "Switch On Your Brain" where she presents a way to combat negative, toxic thoughts and replace them with truth. I hope that helps.
    Linda Rothfuss · 7 months ago
    Amen! Knowing our identity in Him is so key to our healing, walking in that identity, remembering, living it out daily has been a process. Great encouragement to speak Isaiah 61 over ourselves this week! I love what Sean said at VOP about identity crisis- when we know who we are but forget Who we are like. So full from VOP!
    Julie Caton · 7 months ago
    Our Identity in Christ is such an important topic. We each need to push into that and work towards walking as His Royal Child, whom He is blessing and wants to bless. Julie
    Carissa Hjellming · 7 months ago
    Amen and Hallelujah!
    Hector Aquino · 7 months ago
    Very encouraging! Thank you.

Hector Aquino
    Colorado Springs, CO
    John Dick · 7 months ago
    Mike, For the last two year since the Encounter Conference that March I have been in this realm. I encourage you to go back to that March class where you prophesied as you prayed over us. It is a prayer that opened vision to me at that time about Identity. Jesus left us the Holy Spirit when he went to the Father. Sadly people seem to miss their identity with the Holy Spirit. So much talk about grace but little connection of the realm of grace with our identity and the Gifts of the Holy Spirit moving thru us, in us, with us. The truth with healing, deliverance, prophesy is found in those gifts of the Holy Spirit. Faith is key to our identity but this Gift of Faith is a greater level of faith than the mustard seed. It is at the level of belief for all the other 8 gifts. Those 9 gifts are in essence are the pure essence of God's Grace in action being poured out through believers who want to be in the Father's flow. You need your identity to be aligned so you can be there. The PTSD teaching is so wonderfully aligned to tie identity and remove hopelessness and isolation. We need more on this subject for the church. Dig deeper and share what the Father has imparted to you! Blessings
    Adam Cregan · 7 months ago
    Thanks! I appreciate this as I’m plugging away at my research paper on Christian Counseling Ethics. Glad I stopped by to read this. I’m with you. Also, good meeting you at Jesus18!
    Megan Schrieber · 7 months ago
    An anointed word, Mike. Thanks for sharing it with compassion, vulnerability and humility.
    Rosemarie · 7 months ago
    Mike. This post you wrote was an answer to a direct question to God today in my prayer time! Thank you so much for being Spirit led!
    PJ Ennist · 7 months ago
    This is a good word! let us look at what God has done in our lives and forgive the things we say and do in our weaknesses. God has given us His righteousness.